Monday, February 6, 2012

Western Ireland Trip

Much like NYC compared to Upstate regions, Dublin is nothing like the rural areas of Western Ireland.  While cities are fun, I am always astonished by the beauty of nature. 

We left Friday morning for Galway, the biggest "city" on the Western coast.  Galway barely qualifies as a city, it's better described as a large town, but nonetheless has a lot going on.  There were street performers all over, even after the sun had set.  The middle of the city is lit up by a carousel, giving the place a magical feel (very Irish).  We stayed in a very nice hostel and that night we went on a pub crawl through Galway.  The pubs were nothing to write home about, I met a couple creepy old men and some younger men who worked at a toy store (rumor is they work for Santa).  The highlight of the pub crawl might have been the mechanical bull at one of the pubs that everyone got a turn on.  Unfortunately, I had to be given a boost onto the bull, and after telling the operator to go easy on me, I still didn't last long.  Exhaustion set in and I called it quits early with a couple of other girls and we went home, finishing up the left-over pizza. (Have I mentioned how delicious Garlic Mayo is?)

Bright and Early on Saturday, we left Galway to see the Cliffs of Moher.  Now, I can't imagine weather is ever very agreeable at that height and proximity to the coast, but we got a special storm of icy rain and wind that blew a couple of the smaller kids around.  (Myself included!)  Nevertheless, the Cliffs were breath-taking and quite the site!  I can't help but also feel like more of an adventurer braving the poor weather and staying outside long enough to see the tower and go all the way around the trail!  The trip was definitely worth it--next time I go, we're bungee jumping off the edge! (Kidding.)

After the Cliffs, we headed to The Connolly Family Farm, run by the cousins of the woman who runs the tour company.  Not quite dry from the cliffs, most of us embarked on a nice hike up the side of the mountain that the Connolly Family has owned for over 300 years!  The view went for miles: we saw sheep, cows, mountains and a faerie tree at the top of the climb. 
The legend is, that if you're having a problem, you tie something to the tree to symbolize leaving your problem behind.  The faeries will hopefully take care of things for you.  The tree we saw had hundreds of pieces of fabric and string tied to it!

After descending the trail, we went inside and had a traditional Irish farm-cooked meal!  Included was beef stew and all kinds of salads.  The meal was pretty good and I'm glad to have been able to partake in some traditions besides my own tradition of PB &J everyday for lunch.

After the farm, we headed to our hostel for the night in an extremely little town!  The hostel owner taught us some Irish dances (I'll show you when I get home!) and then we walked down the road to a pub.  After being ridiculed for only drinking water I brought with me, I threw darts with my friend Kelsey.  I don't know how scoring works, so I can't tell you who won, but an interesting man with dread locks complimented my technique, sort of...

I headed back to the hostel fairly early in an attempt to get a good night's sleep, and it worked! 
Sunday morning, we traveled to Kinvara, a fishing village.  This village was exactly what I needed to see! The buildings were painted fun pastels and every year Kinvara takes part in an Irish contest for the "Tidiest Town;" it was so picturesque!  We didn't stay for very long, but the next place we went was to a castle down the road!

My first castle was incredible, though I didn't get to go in.  I walked along a trail that covered the perimeter, observing the ivy and stone walls, then hopped down the road to look at a beautiful white horse.  The best part of the castle was imagining living on a coastline and waking up to the views I saw every morning!

After the castle, we returned to Galway to shop for Aran Sweaters and Claddagh rings, from some pretty legit stores.  I got a couple of presents and treated myself to a Claddagh ring from the original makers, Thomas Dillon.  A couple of my friends and I dined at a little restaurant close by, but the food wasn't too impressive, but I'm glad to have eaten local, rather than at a chain. 

Galway was a great trip and the feeling of walking the same streets as many of my favorite writers, Oscar Wilde, etc, always makes me feel closer to the literature I read.  I'm excited for some time to write after the trips keep us so busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment